[MD] Buddhism's s/o

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Mon May 3 20:20:50 PDT 2010

Hello everyone

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:34 AM, Marsha Valkyr <valkyr at att.net> wrote:
>>Marsha:
>>>
>>When I label intellectual patterns as SOM I am describing how they are
>>>
>>perceived, or how they function in consciousness.  I-spov represent reified
>>>
>>concepts and the rules for their manipulation.  Intellectual patterns create
>>>
>>false boundaries, giving the illusion of independence, or 'thingness'. I
>>>
>>understand this fourth level to represent a formalized subject/object
>>>
>>level where the subjective is supposedly stripped from the experience
>>>
>>to reveal an objective truth.
>>>
>>Dan:
>>I understand intellectual patterns of value to represent ideas.
>

> Marsha:
> Ideas that are ever-changing, dependent and impermanent?  I am so much
> more intrigued by the nature of all patterns, than the definition of the levels.

Dan:
Ideas arise, flourish, and fade away. I suspect that's the nature of
all patterns.

Marsha:
> The most interesting patterns are of the 'not this' and 'not that' variety, which
> covers all of them if you take the time to understand them.  But then it seems
> to me that you only need to understand a few to understand all of them, and
> there are better things to do with ones silence.  -  Too many words, right?

Dan:
I don't feel that I understand patterns of the 'not this, not that'
variety in an intellectual way, where I could hold a discussion.

> Are you too busy fixing motorcycles to plant a garden?

Dan:
I don't plant gardens in the usual sense. I have gardens though. I do
enjoy fresh tomatoes and plant those all over the place... anwhere
there's a little sun. I even have some down behind the shop. It's been
an early planting season here, a good two or three weeks earlier than
normal. I see corn already coming up in farmers' fields where most
times they aren't planting till now.

Thanks for asking,

Dan