[MD] Reading & Comprehension

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Tue May 4 08:56:07 PDT 2010

Hi Andre

I had said:
> The essence of the MOQ is of course to transcend SOM...

Andre:
> And in true Plattonian fashion, I demand to see specific evidence and
> references to this claim. Where, exactly, has Phaedrus stated that the
> 'essence of the MOQ is to transcend SOM'? Make it hard Bodvar...as a
> diamond, make it an 'objectively' true claim....back it up with hard
> scientific evidence.

You may be a pain in several places Andre, but as long as you speak
MOQ-speak you are magnanimously forgiven. However is MOQ's
purpose to transcend SOM an issue? This makes me wonder if you
need to go back to kindergarten again.

                                   -------------
I include this from the same day:

Bodvar to dmb:
> As said before look how OBJECTIVELY and ACADEMICALLY - i.e,.
> somishly - Pirsig went about to present the Quality Idea in ZAMM.

> Andre:
> Sorry to interject but Bodvar, you are missing the point completely...once
> again. It is not incredibly important how ' Pirsig went about to present
> the Quality Idea in ZAMM'. What is important about ZMM is how he ARRIVED
> at the Quality idea. Nothing OBJECTIVELY AND ACADEMICALLY....rather
> intuitively. Phaedrus was 'cornered'... he had no way out... (remember the
> Poincarre story... he was stuck) and then suddenly Phaedrus went a path,
> which to his mind no one in the West had walked before (or something like
> that).

No doubt the Quality Idea arrived intuitively, but my point is that he
couldn't go down to the town square climb a soap box and tell people
he had had a vision. He lived in a society totally SOM-steeped and if
his idea would make it, it had to follow the rules of that society. "When
in Rome ... etc"

> Then one encounters the problem of how to present this to everyday people
> in everyday circumstances and to see your own insights fit into, and
> builds on to mainstream American pragmatism.

Well, you seem to see the point. However, the MOQ must not be
assimilated by acadmical philosophy lest the same thing happens to it
as to all who have tried to conquer China, they turned Chinese.
Modesty forbids me to say it, but had it not been for my stubborn,
mulish, pig-headed  SOL issue the MOQ would have been an
academical relic by now, good for nothing ...except a couple of PhDs
that has to be toothless to get through the needle eye.

Bodvar