[MD] Pirsig's theory of truth

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Tue May 4 23:04:29 PDT 2010

Steve said:
 ... I don't see any evidence that Pirsig followed James any further than saying that the true is a species of the good in subscribing to the so-called pragmatic theory of truth.

dmb says:

"What the MOQ adds to James' pragmatism and radical empiricism is the idea that the primal reality from which subjects and objects spring is VALUE. By doing so it seems to unite pragmatism and radical empiricism into a single fabric. Value, the pragmatic test of truth, is also the primary empirical experience. The MOQ says pure experience is value. Experience which is not valued is not experienced. The two are the same. This is where value fits. ..Value is at the very front of the empirical procession."

As you can see, he unites the two Jamesian philosophies with the central idea of the MOQ. Value here is static as a belief that agrees with experience and dynamic as the primary empirical reality. I think it's safe to say that he takes James's work much further than you suggest. This is all at the heart of the MOQ.

Rortyism really doesn't fit here at all and with that stance you end up ignoring everything that makes the MOQ what it is.