[MD] Pirsig's theory of truth

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Thu May 6 03:07:46 PDT 2010

Hmmm.

Truth as relative:

Anthony writes:
Intellectual values include truth, justice, freedom, democracy and,
trial by jury. It’s worth noting that the MOQ follows a pragmatic
notion of truth so truth is seen as relative in his system while
Quality is seen as absolute.  In consequence, the truth is defined
as the highest quality intellectual explanation at a given time.

RMP:
If the past is any guide to the future this explanation must be taken
provisionally; as useful until something better comes along. One
can then examine intellectual realities the same way he examines
paintings in an art gallery, not with an effort to find out which one is
the ‘real’ painting, but simply to enjoy and keep those that are of value.
There are many sets of intellectual reality in existence and we can
perceive some to have more quality than others, but that we do so is,
in part, the result of our history and current patterns of values. (
Pirsig, 1991, p.103)

      (McWatt,Anthony,MOQ Textbook)

___