[MD] Emerson for Marsha

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Wed May 5 09:23:29 PDT 2010

Hi Marsha,

As I see it, the only difference between us is that you find
the button "Relativism" one you want to stick on your hiking
backpack, and I don't like that color, but prefer
"Relationalism," though I think they signal to people in our
hiking club roughly the same thing (though not always, and
particularly people not in the club, which is why it can
become a big deal for other people facing off against each
other, like Steve and DMB).

This is just to say, since you've been reading and
meditating on these matters of relativity and whatnot, that
I ran across a passage in Emerson that might pique your
interest in him for your search:

"...man is an analogist, and studies relations in all objects.
He is placed in the centre of beings, and a ray of relation
passes from every other being to him.  And neither can
man be understood without these objects, not these
objects without man."

--from Nature, Chapter 4, "Language"

Matt