[MD] Reading & Comprehension

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Thu May 6 00:01:56 PDT 2010

Hi Platt.

5 May you said to Horse.

> I can't find any place where Pirsig says that S/O is the dominant
> pattern among many at the intellectual level. I agree that the
> intellectual level contains all sorts of intellectual patterns, but
> all are characterized by the S/O division, just as all social patterns
> are characterized by group identity, all biological patterns by DNA,
> and all inorganic patterns by energy. It's the amoral S/O intellectual
> level that dominates society, causing problems. It's the dominance of
> amoral S/O over society that must be replaced by a new, more inclusive
> value-oriented paradigm. Isn't that the message of the MOQ?

This the crux of the matter, the issue that no-one claiming to be a
MOQ adherer can't circumvent without accepting SOL interpretation.
(but alas the anti-solists abandon logic or normal reasoning) You have
for a long time used this part of Pirsig's teachings to forward your
version of the SOL, while I have used other parts for mine (Mary some
other) but only in my recent dialogue with Arlo did I realized the
enormous strength of your argument. Page up and page down in LILA
Pirsig harps on intellects undermining social control which has resulted
in nightmarish conditions in many big Western cities. Only intellect's
OBJECTIVE OVER SUBJECTIVE attitude that makes morals into
subjective irrelevancies can work this ill effect. I need not repeat all
you fine arguments, but great show.

Bodvar