[MD] Reading & Comprehension

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Thu May 6 06:34:11 PDT 2010

On May 6, 2010, at 8:14 AM, skutvik at online.no wrote:

> Greetings Marsha
>
> 4 May.you wrote:
>
>> Hi Bo, Just feeling the need to reaffirm my agreement with you that the
>> Intellectual Level is  comprised of intellectual patterns as SOM and
>> represent reified concepts and the rules for their manipulation.
>> Intellectual patterns create false boundaries, giving the illusion of
>> independence, or thingness. For me understand this fourth level to
>> represent a formalized subject/object level where the subjective is
>> supposedly stripped from the experience to reveal an objective truth.
>> "The question of "How do you justify the statement that Quality equals
>> reality?" was the best one. The correct answer from a MOQ perspective
>> is, "by the harmony it produces", but this answer is only for people
>> who already understand the MOQ. Those who don't can't see the harmony
>> and for them this answer is meaningless." (Pirsig, 2000)
>> I do think your point-of-view is more harmonious than the bits and
>> pieces presented by many of the others.
>
> Sorry for the belated response, but I had to analyze it. I am at times
> cautious of your phrasing, for instance:
>
>    " The Intellectual Level is  comprised of intellectual patterns as
>    SOM and  represent reified concepts and the rules for their
>    manipulation".
>
> I don't know, but the "reify" term ["To regard or treat (an abstraction)
> as if it had concrete or material existence."] is hardly what
> charachterizes the 4th. level. Look Marsha it's so simple. ZAMM tells
> exactly how the intellectual level emerged. THE ABSTRACT/
> CONCRETE DISTINCTION is an intellectual fallout, not the other way
> round.

I understand the fourth level to take a concept such as 'justice' or
'truth', which does not represent an object in an external universe,
and turn into an object for investigation.  'Particle spin' is another
example of a concept that is taken as an entity of objective
investigation.   This reification is accomplished by giving concepts
artificial boundaries and imaginary independence.   It is SOM
through and through.

> "Rules for their manipulation .." smacks of thinking and/or intelligence,
> but thinking precedes the 4th. level by hundreds of thousand of years
> and the "manipulation" were the same for the Neanterthals as for
> modern humans (only a matter of capacity). This is the fallacious
> intelligence definition of intellect.

These would be the rules, such as hjgher mathematics, formal logic
and grammar, which are sometimes used to manipulate objects.

>    For me understand this fourth level to represent a formalized
>    subject/object level where the subjective is supposedly
>    stripped from the experience to reveal an objective truth.
>
> But this is spot on. The objective, detached attitude leaves emotions,
> morals and values subjective disturbances that has to be stripped
> away to make way for progress. But/and here comes the juggler's act:
> It was progress  - the 4th. level IS the highest static value - but as
> SOM (i.e. before the MOQ) the notion that the S/O schism was
> existence's fundament created several nightmares, the social of
> destroying law and order (Platt's point) and the metaphysical that
> caused young Bo's "weltsmertz" back in the sixties sand early
> seventies before Pirsig's ZAMM "saved" me .
>
>    The question of "How do you justify the statement that Quality
>    equals reality?" was the best one. The correct answer from a
>    MOQ perspective is, "by the harmony it produces", but this
>    answer is only for people who already understand the MOQ.
>    Those who don't can't see the harmony and for them this
>    answer is meaningless." (Pirsig, 2000)  I do think your point-of-
>    view is more harmonious than the bits and pieces presented
>    by many of the others.
>
> The SOL is no Bo hobbyhorse but Phaedrus' of ZAMM's point where
> the first deliberations on the Quality Ideas was "pre-intellect/intellect",
> this becoming Quality/SOM (the only level at that stage) And had the
> final MOQ kept the 4th. level = SOM all trouble would have been
> avoided, as it is the MOQ has wasted ten years over this quandary
> with the pig-headed resistance against a return to the roots.

I like to think in terms of Quality(unpatterned experience and
patterned experience).  I can ignore the pre-intellect and intellect
confusion.  But for the record, I consider pre-patterned or
'unpatterned experience' to be a much better label than the
confusing 'pre-intellect.'  And I prefer simply 'patterned experience'
to 'intellect' when it comes to describing the application of static patterns.

Because my point-of-view is so much influenced by my reading
of Buddhist texts, I try to stay out of your line of argument.  I think you
are on the correct track, but I don't want to confuse the issue with
my more Eastern flavored perspective.

Marsha

___