[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Mon May 10 00:30:33 PDT 2010

Andre,

---
     "The student Doko came to a Zen master, and said: "I am seeking the
truth.  In what state of mind should I train myself, so as to find it?"
     Said the master, "There is no mind, so you cannot put it in any state.
There is no truths, so you cannot train yourself for it."
     "If there is no mind to train, and no truth to find, why do you have these
monks gather before you every day to study Zen and train thenselves for
this study?"
     "But I haven't an inch of room here," said the master, "so how could the
monks gather?  I have no tongue, so how could I call them together or
teach them?"
     "Oh, how can you lie like this?"  asked Doko.
     "But if I have no tongue to talk to others, how can I lie to you?" asked
the master.
     Then Doko said sadly, "I cannot follow you.  I cannot understand you."
     I cannot understand myself," said the master.
---

What does a koan do?

Marsha