[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Tue May 11 12:06:18 PDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 2:37 PM, Arlo Bensinger wrote:

> [Marsha]
> I think viewed from a new perspective, most can retain their usefulness by an understanding that:
>
> [Arlo]
> Why should a level have to be viewed from a new perspective to retain its usefulness? Seen this way, "intellect" is an evolutionary problem until something evolves beyond it. No other levels are this way.

The
way
you
are
stripping
out
parts
of
this
dialogue
is
making
it
useless
for
me.

guess
you
think
that
all
intellectual
patterns
are
perfect.

think
they
could
use
perspectives
such
as:

RMP:
If the past is any guide to the future this explanation must be taken
provisionally; as useful until something better comes along. One can
then examine intellectual realities the same way he examines paintings
in an art gallery, not with an effort to find out which one is the ‘real’
painting, but simply to enjoy and keep those that are of value. There are
many sets of intellectual reality in existence and we can perceive some
to have more quality than others, but that we do so is, in part, the result
of our history and current patterns of values. (Pirsig, 1991, p.103)”

    (McWatt,Anthony,MOQ Textbook)

> [Marsha]
> How could intellect the have evolved any differently is not a practical question because they are what they are.
>
> [Arlo]
> What you are saying is that they could never have been anything else.

No,
am
saying
it
is
what
it
is.

What
it
could
have
been
is
not
the
issue.

> "Intellect" is by your definition "SOM". So, again, what is the lament of ZMM? What is it Aristotle did to the teachings of the Sophists that is a problem? If ALL intellect is SOM, and Aristotle is the grandfather of SOM, then ZMM should champion his cause, not bemoan it. But ultimately it wouldn't matter unless the Sophists were teaching "social dominance", since Aristotle's victory for SOM/Intellect could not have been anything if the Sophists were also peddling SOM/Intellect.

The
lament
is
based
on
misconception:
that
entities (self & object)
exist
independently.

> [Marsha]
> Just like the social level was altered by a broader perspective, so the intellectual level can be transcended by a higher point-of-view.
>
> [Arlo]
> How was the social level altered by a broader perspective? You mean "intellect"? I though intellect's meddling with society was a symptom of its SOM underpinnings.

Do
you
want
history
of
intellectual
ideas?

don't
know
what
you
thought,
 or
your
reasons
for
thinking
it.

Maybe
that
is
something
you
would
like
explain.

> I won't comment on your switching from "altered" to "transcended" just yet, but its another one of those "ugly" things that happens when you try to condemn intellect to be "just SOM".

Ugly?

You
are
sooooo