[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Tue May 11 11:37:49 PDT 2010

[Marsha]
I think viewed from a new perspective, most can retain their
usefulness by an understanding that:

[Arlo]
Why should a level have to be viewed from a new perspective to retain
its usefulness? Seen this way, "intellect" is an evolutionary problem
until something evolves beyond it. No other levels are this way.

[Marsha]
How could intellect the have evolved any differently is not a
practical question because they are what they are.

[Arlo]
What you are saying is that they could never have been anything else.
"Intellect" is by your definition "SOM". So, again, what is the
lament of ZMM? What is it Aristotle did to the teachings of the
Sophists that is a problem? If ALL intellect is SOM, and Aristotle is
the grandfather of SOM, then ZMM should champion his cause, not
bemoan it. But ultimately it wouldn't matter unless the Sophists were
teaching "social dominance", since Aristotle's victory for
SOM/Intellect could not have been anything if the Sophists were also
peddling SOM/Intellect.

[Marsha]
Just like the social level was altered by a broader perspective, so
the intellectual level can be transcended by a higher point-of-view.

[Arlo]
How was the social level altered by a broader perspective? You mean
"intellect"? I though intellect's meddling with society was a symptom
of its SOM underpinnings.

I won't comment on your switching from "altered" to "transcended"
just yet, but its another one of those "ugly" things that happens
when you try to condemn intellect to be "just SOM".