[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Tue May 11 10:48:55 PDT 2010

On May 11, 2010, at 1:01 PM, Arlo Bensinger wrote:

> [Marsha]
> You tell me.  Are there any intellectual patterns that may be loosing their usefulness?
>
> [Arlo]
> Certainly, the ones that are rooted in SOM.

Marsha:
I think viewed from a new perspective, most can retain their usefulness by an
understanding that:

RMP:
If the past is any guide to the future this explanation must be taken
provisionally; as useful until something better comes along. One can
then examine intellectual realities the same way he examines paintings
in an art gallery, not with an effort to find out which one is the ‘real’
painting, but simply to enjoy and keep those that are of value. There are
many sets of intellectual reality in existence and we can perceive some
to have more quality than others, but that we do so is, in part, the result
of our history and current patterns of values. (Pirsig, 1991, p.103)”

     (McWatt,Anthony,MOQ Textbook)

> [Marsha]
> I think the lamenting has to do with head without heart.  Would have, could
> have, should have been different.  The body could have evolved with ten
> toes.  It didn't.
>
> [Arlo]
> If ALL intellect is SOM, HOW could things have been any different??? How
> could intellect have evolved any differently? It is SOM by your definition,
> it could never have been otherwise.

Marsha:
I choose to state it as all intellectual patterns are built on a SOM
assumption.  It can be experienced differently from the MoQ
point-of-view as stated in the above quote.  How could intellect the
have evolved any differently is not a practical question because
they are what they are.  The issue for me becomes one of transcending
the subject/object duality.

> [Marsha]
> Let's please remember that evolution is an intellectual static pattern of value.
> Otherwise harmonious?  I don't buy that assumption.
>
> [Arlo]
> If ALL intellect is SOM, and SOM is a blinder to Quality, then the intellectual level
> itself becomes the anomolous "problem" in the hierarchy. Rather than the other
> levels which are to be embraced, "intellect" becomes nothing more than an obstacle.

Marsha:
Just like the social level was altered by a broader perspective, so the intellectual
level can be transcended by a higher point-of-view.

___