[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Tue May 11 21:19:13 PDT 2010

Arlo said to Marsh cat:
Again, if this is the case... if ALL intellect is SOM by definition... then where is the conflict in ZMM between the Sophists and Aristotle? BOTH were peddling SOM.

dmb says:

Yea, it's a great story. Descartes created a ridiculous fictional self and Aristotle was the asshole who invented the metaphysics of substance, see. These are the SOMers, the bad guys. And then, oh the drama, he wants to dig up the bone dust of the Sophists and resurrected them. These are the SOMers too but they're the good guys. It's all comes to a climax when the SOMers fight the SOMers to the death. (Let's say it was an orgy of steel and blood because I've been watching the new Spartacus on Netflix.) Fortunately, the good guys won so now we can have SOM instead of that nasty old SOM.
Great story. It doesn't really get going until the end and you never see the end coming except when it first starts. I guess that's the whole point, eh?