[MD] Reading & Comprehension

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Thu May 13 07:46:36 PDT 2010

Andre.

12 May.

Arlo:
> My point about substitution was that it creates some nonsensical
> statements, consider this from ZMM.

 Bodvar:
> Sure it creates nonsense, which proves that the Quality/MOQ "meta-
> metaphysics is nonsense, Quality is the DQ of MOQ's DQ/SQ
> configuration, like the S/O is  the SOM. You forgot to answer my
> question if there were any world view that said that quality is not
> reality?

Andre:
> 'The statement that Quality is reality itself does not follow
> logically from the statements that quality is not subjective or
> objective. That is why Pirsig never said this.( Annot. 117)

Why not think for yourself for a change. The "Quality/MOQ " meta-
metaphysics is something Pirsig "holds against" the MOQ because it
allegedly is "static intellectual"  (due to being presented by language)
Now, the statement that Quality is outside everything is also
"intellectual" from these criteria and requires another turn of the
metaphysical screw. Why Pirsig didn't see this "screwing up of the
MOQ" is beyond me.

Then the annotation:

    the belief that Quality equals reality came much later and was
    arrived at by a more complex process...There was an
    intermediate period where Phaedrus thought reality was three-
    termed, with subject, object and value- a 'blessed trinity' he
    called it..

I know well the proceedings in ZAMM where it first was a "trinity":
Quality, Subjects and Objects, then the realizaton of the S/O
aggregate - now called SOM -  being a fall-out from Quality . Then
more twists and turns resulting in Quality= DQ and SOM=SQ (the only
"level" at that stage sub-titled "intellect" for your information)

    ..Later Phaedrus felt that three-termed realities are rather
    unwieldy (low quality) and rare in metaphysics, and tried to
    collapse them into one....He tried and he saw that it could be
    done. As time went on, he saw that not only could it be done,
    but that it solved huge philosophic problems that had dogged
    metaphysics for centuries. It produced harmony where there
    had bee disharmony. It had high intellectual quality'.
    (Annot.118)

I must treat this separately. "...tried to collapse them into one ..." by
this he means that even if DQ/SQ looks like a dualism, both are
Quality and thus in contrast to SOM's S & O which are worlds apart.
The "huge problems that has dogged metaphysics for centuries" is of
course SOM's two realms, thus the MOQ's purpose is to restore
harmony, but this cannot be done by discarding SOM - there is no
metaphysical  trash can, because there is nothing outside of
metaphysics - SOM must find some place inside the MOQ and this
subsumation can only be performed by the SOL.

Bodvar