[MD] knowledge

david buchanan dmbuchanan at hotmail.com
Sat May 15 22:00:27 PDT 2010

Matt said:
Better than rubberband even is Quine's self as a web of belief.  Web is nice because if we visualize "life" as instead of a river, but an open space of air with a nice breeze.

dmb says:

The of idea of a web of belief comes out of the structuralist movement. It's based on the insight that the meaning of words isn't derived from a one to one relationship to its referent but rather from its relation to all the other words in a given language. Thus the language as a whole is a kind of set of structured relations. So the web of belief is not a way to visualize "life", but language and concepts.

That's why we can't replace the river with the web. The web is composed of the buckets. All our verbal and conceptual understandings have to be static or they wouldn't be able to function. Without stability of meaning, communication is not possible. This is not to say that language does not evolve or that words are totally inflexible, but static intellectual patterns are just that, static. They have to be or there aren't any patterns.

You can characterize the web of belief as flapping in the wind, but there is no such thing as dynamic language because, as the use of interchangeable terms shows, there is no such thing as pre-intellectual intellect or pre-verbal verbiage.

I mean, to trade the web for the river is to misconstrue the analogy as approximately the opposite of what it is meant to illustrate.