[MD] knowledge

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Sat May 15 23:27:34 PDT 2010

Greetings, Matt --

[Matt to Steve on May 15]:
> ... I'm not sure that anybody really has read "pre-intellectual"
> as "social/bio/inorganic."  Thinking about it that way, however,
> does tend to make us face what exactly we mean by DQ.
> Pirsig did not say "DQ is pre-static experience."  There may
> or may not be an important reason behind this.  However,
> it does cause us to face up to the idea of what it means to be,
> say, pre-subatomic particles. ...
>
> But what could it mean to be pre-electrons?  We might be
> able to extend our understanding of "pre-" to "pre-social,"
> getting back to biological instincts, but pre-lightwaves?
> What does it mean to be in touch with something that is
> before any "thing"?  Why is it we don't melt away when
> this happens?  How come we only talk about the
> nothingness of our culturally constructed "self" rather
> than the brief, or permanent, obliteration of our bodies?
> Why are descriptions of enlightenment not accompanied
> by on-looker reports of how the person faded away
> before their eyes?

Well stated, as usual Matt, and the questions you pose are worthy of
discussion.
As a follower of this forum with no special reason to patronize the Quality
thesis,
I'd like to address two of the issues you've raised.

Although Pirsig did not say "DQ is pre-static experience," he did call
Quality
"the pre-intellectual cutting edge of reality" and he equated it with "pure
experience".
Perhaps the reason he didn't posit this pure experience specifically as
"dynamic"
is that it would contaminate the "unpatterned" nature of his primary
reality.

As for "what it means to be" something other than human, such as
a sub-atomic particle or lightwave, I think it's important to realize
that "being" is not intrinsic to self-awareness--even in "human beings".
Organic being is a contingency of cognizant life, not its essence.
We borrow beingness from an external reality in order to exist
as an individuated self with the capacity to "be-aware".
There is no rational justification (outside of fantasy) for imputing
awareness to inanimate objects. This is where the Quality (value)
thesis falls apart, in my opinion.

Awareness of Quality or Value is the core self of man.  Although I'm
willing to accept human value-sensibility as "pre-intellectual",
it  happen to
agree with Pirsig jat

In fact,

 no.