[MD] e: Reading & Comprehension

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Sun May 16 07:04:38 PDT 2010

Marsha, Marsha, Marsha.

Nature is a static pattern?  Then you believe everything is.  I can't
imagine anything more dynamic than  nature.

At least the nature we have here in California, but I'm quite sure its the
same everywhere.

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:25 PM, MarshaV <valkyr at att.net> wrote:

> Hi Ian,
>
> I'm not sure how I responded to is "NATURE is intellect", but 'nature' is
> a static pattern of value, not an absolute.  No matter how forceful he
> states it, I'm not going to take anything as a given until I consider it
> fully.  I was discussing a level of patterns, and I had the feeling he was
> discussing 'thinking'.  There is something in the way he uses the
> word 'intellect' that makes me think it's about thinking in general.

Just this morning I was thinking about my earlier discussion with Horse and
Arlo on the dividing line between intellect and intelligence, and how that
fits with know-how vs. know-that and it sems very clear to me this morning
that know-how is intelligence and know-that is intellect.

An amoeba knows how to avoid a puddle of acid, but it doesn't know that it's
avoiding a puddle of acid.  Know-how is biological and know-that is human.

Doesn't it all just sort of dovetail together nicely?  I feel like I'm
getting a really solid metaphysical understanding (know-that) here.

> One can look at all patterns as 'conceptions', or one can look at
> what patterns represent, their category or function.  I can all too
> easily toss it all off to conceptual vapor, and go chop wood.  But I'm
> curious to thoroughly understand how it works.  If I can.  It is not
> unimportant to the way lives are lived.
>
> Am I weird?

Compared to normal people, probably.  Compared to me and others on MD, no.

Chopping Wood?  Today is the day for gardening.  Nature beckons!

take care,

John