[MD] frankly xacto painting

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Fri May 21 00:43:33 PDT 2010

John

20 May you said

> In English love can be translated as "caring" or "values".  I LOVE ice
> cream is I VALUE ice cream.

Yes, that goes for all languages, but Americans have inflated the term
"love" to mean almost any kind of liking. In our "Scandinavian" the
same term is much more lofty  and solemn.

> Biological love is procreation, social love is celebrity and
> intellectual love is truth.

A strange way of putting it. Procreation requires a strong biological
drive called "lust".  The social level means biology brought under
control of a higher Good and the purely biological sensations are
overlaid by emotions, in this case  LOVE  (not of ice cream). Celebrity
may be called a "social lust" that intellect (SOM) in its turn brings
under control by rational rules and calls it "politics".

> The reason classic SOM has difficulty defining what is love, is this
> MoQ truth that love has many levels

It's no MOQ tenet that love has many levels. I don't believe that Pirsig
speaks much about "love" at all, but in its time I launched a
corresponding list of "expressions" (I called).

              Interaction .Sensation - Emotion - Reason .

And I still find this most relevant and useful.

Bodvar

: