[MD] frankly xacto painting

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Mon May 24 07:33:35 PDT 2010

On Fri, May 21, 2010 at 12:43 AM, <skutvik at online.no> wrote:

> John
>
> 20 May you said
>
> > In English love can be translated as "caring" or "values".  I LOVE ice
> > cream is I VALUE ice cream.
>
> Yes, that goes for all languages, but Americans have inflated the term
> "love" to mean almost any kind of liking. In our "Scandinavian" the
> same term is much more lofty  and solemn.

Just as Scandinavians, I suppose, are much more lofty and solemn.  I'm
getting that.

> > Biological love is procreation, social love is celebrity and
> > intellectual love is truth.
>
> A strange way of putting it.

Thanks.

> Procreation requires a strong biological
> drive called "lust".

You could also call it differently - lust requires a strong biological drive
called "procreation".  But I don't think amoeba feel lust, but they do have
a modicum of dna-induced procreative drive.  All life does.  Life's
distinguishing characteristics are intelligence and procreative drive.
"Lust" I'd assign to the emotion-based social levels (mammals) and
specifically, the emotion created through denial.

>  The social level means biology brought under
> control of a higher Good and the purely biological sensations are
> overlaid by emotions, in this case  LOVE  (not of ice cream). Celebrity
> may be called a "social lust" that intellect (SOM) in its turn brings
> under control by rational rules and calls it "politics".

Social levels arise through life's individuals co-operating for survival.
Thus social patterns are not intended to "control" biological patterns as
much as they are evolved to enhance and perpetuate those biological beings.

Likewise in human societies, intellect doesn't evolve to repress or control
society, but to enhance and protect.

>  > The reason classic SOM has difficulty defining what is love, is this
> > MoQ truth that love has many levels
>
> It's no MOQ tenet that love has many levels. I don't believe that Pirsig
> speaks much about "love" at all, but in its time I launched a
> corresponding list of "expressions" (I called).
>
>              Interaction .Sensation - Emotion - Reason .
>
> And I still find this most relevant and useful.
>
> Bodvar

Well the point about "love" is that love, Quality and caring can be viewed
as intertwined synonyms, eh?  You don't have Quality without caring.  You
don't have love without caring.  You don't have reality without caring.

John the tardy poster