[MD] hey dmb

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Fri May 21 11:15:37 PDT 2010

Hi  DMB,  Alles.

Marsha said to dmb:
> I'm curious to know if the talk you gave on the 'The MOQ at Oxford'
> video was the only talk you gave?  Did you give a different talk to
> Oxford students?

dmb says:
> It was basically the same but I think there were no Oxford students in
> audience. These were older people, say 35 and up. I was told that
> three of the audience members were Oxford philosophy teachers, one of
> which we had drinks with afterward. She was more like a poet,
> actually, a totally awesome woman. There is at least one thing about
> the actual event that was different from the outdoor versions Anthony
> recorded. I asked the audience if anyone had ever read ZAMM and every
> hand shot straight up like one big salute to Pirsig. I was literally
> tickled by that very cool moment and I wish it had been recorded.
> Anyway, I haven't seen it yet but what you probably saw was my first
> attempt to say it out loud. The taping served as a rehearsal for the
> talk, which I badly needed.

I received my DVD yesterday and will also praise Dave as a great
lecturer with a very pleasant and distinct voice, Anthony as a great film
director and Oxford for having great buildings and not too curious and
loud passers by. I just wonder, Dave, if your manuscript is available. I
understood almost everything - particularly the ZAMM quotes - but
spoken English isn't always as easy. Also good to hear the correct
pronunciation of the various  well-known words.  For instance, before I
met with Pirsig in 1994 I tended to pronounce his name with the first "i"
like in "thin" (the German "pfirsich" (peach)) . The interviews with him
were also fantastic, he looks good, in great spirits and as alert as ever,
it was really touching to hear him tell about his childhood days, the
university building in Minneapolis he knew so well, the tunnels and him
disturbing his father's lectures. From LILA one gets the impression of a
shy and sad little fellow having deep existential broodings from the first
day, but he may have been quite "normal".

Anyway great show.

Bodvar