[MD] Are There Bad Questions?: Rorty

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Fri May 21 16:37:04 PDT 2010

Hey Steve,

Steve said:
I remember reading Rorty reference Davidson's claim that
most of our beliefs must be true, but what is the reasoning
behind it?

Matt:
The claim that "most of our beliefs must be true" is also
known as Davidson's principle of charity, and also goes by
the less colloquial and more philosophically jargony "belief
by its nature is veridical."  It also has to do with his notion
of triangulation, the inextricable nature of
person-community-world relations.

If I understand it correctly, it goes something like this:
One first starts with the principle of charity.  Davidson says
that for communication to even successfully occur between
two beings, you must _assume_ that most of your
interlocutor's beliefs are true.  Rorty backs up this claim
through a thought-experiment adapted from Quine (who uses
it for his related notion of radical translation): think of a field
linguist (or anthropologist) being dropped into the middle of a
foreign tribe without any clue how to communicate in their
language, or vice versa.  So how would communicative links
proceed?  First thing you do is assume that the two of you
share a world.  Then you assume that the noises, gestures,
and/or scratches (in the dirt, snow, on paper, whatever) are
about the same world you would make your noises, gestures,
and scratches about.  Then you muddle about until the
noises, gestures, and scratches parallel each other enough
that you can make a foreign-sounding noise and predict the
reply-noise of your foreign interlocutor.  Now--if you are
correct in your prediction, then you've just produced a true
statement in a now learned language.  If you can coordinate
your noisy behavior with their's, then that means most of
their beliefs (statements) must have been true to begin with,
as you certainly think yours are.  And as everyone is doing
this to each other whenever they communicate (i.e.
coordinate behavior), successful communication by its nature
establishs that there is a shared world and that most of the
statements about that world are true.  We just don't know
for sure which ones specifically.

I think that's roughly how the argument goes.  I'm not a pro
at it, and I mainly know Rorty's interetation and not where
all the pieces come from in Quine and Davidson, though
perhaps I should put that on my to-do list for the summer.

Matt