[MD] Are There Bad Questions?: Rorty

Steven Peterson peterson.steve at gmail.com
Mon May 24 05:20:57 PDT 2010

Hi Matt,

I can see why even disagreement presupposes a substantial background
of agreement. But two people could be agreeing about a whole bunch of
things that they are both wrong about.

I can't see how we can get from substantial agreement to "MOST of our
beliefs must be true." Davidson's notion suggests to me that beliefs
are a countable sort of thing and we have broken the 50% barrier for
having true ones. I'm not sure what it would mean to ask how many
beliefs a typical person has to talk about more or less than half
being true or false.

It seems to me that we can still be wrong about more than half of the
sentences we believe.  I read something about his argument including a
thought experiment involving imagining an omniscient being. This being
would have to have a lot of beliefs in common with us to be able to
communicate with us too, so it is not merely a matter of agreement on
beliefs but it is actually true beliefs that we must have. I still
don't understand how we can get to the conclusion that more than 50%
are true.

Maybe it is not so much about numbers (greater or less than 50%) but
about substantial agreement on core beliefs--beliefs such that we
couldn't drop without dropping a whole bunch of other beliefs.

Anyway, let me know if you do get to look into this over the summer.
It sounds like good anti-skepticism stuff.

Best,
Steve