[MD] Are There Bad Questions?: Rorty

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Mon May 24 10:23:31 PDT 2010

Hey Steve,

Steve said:
I can see why even disagreement presupposes a substantial
background of agreement. But two people could be agreeing
about a whole bunch of things that they are both wrong
about.

Matt:
This is why Davidson's argument is a step beyond
Wittgenstein's about shared backgrounds.  If I understand it
well enough, the fact of _success_ in communication _in
general_ are two key parts.  We aren't talking a particular
time and place (when people on some particular topic might
say a whole pack of falsities), but say all the negotiation of
the world we do through a week of time.  If we can
successfully coordinate our behavior--which we do most of
the time--then the beliefs that coordinated the two people
with the world must mostly be true.

This spectare of the "whole bunch of things that they are
both wrong about" is a Cartesian ghost Davidson wants to
be done with.  Sure, there can be "a whole bunch," but too,
"most of their beliefs are true."  You can hold both without
contradiction because of the vagueness of the notions,
which was intended on Davidson's part.  Davidson has no
desire to _actually itemize_ so we can get a quantifiable
percentage.  Davidson's main concern is anti-skeptical, to
get rid of the fake threat of what Michael Williams called
"global skepticism."  The reason "whole bunch" can be true
without any concern about us not also having "most of
them true" is because of our infinite capacity to produce
sentences.  Beliefs are like the movements of an arm, not
marbles in a bag.  You can't count them up.  Every
movement is technically slightly different, but we do tend
to prefer certain patterns of movements, like the pound,
the thrust, the scribble, the backhand, or the haymaker.

Now, on this analogy, perhaps you're objection appears like:
"well, do _most_ of our arm movements successfully engage
the world?  Because it certainly doesn't appear necessary
that they do.  You might throw all sorts of punches in a
fight and never land any."  Notice, though, that Davidson's
argument about beliefs _starts_ with the fact of typical
success--because communication, following Wittgenstein,
requires a substantial background of agreement _and_
because we have not all died off in our negotiations in the
world (we do successfully live through the week, usually),
most of our communication can be termed successful.
Starting with success, rather than like Descartes with
doubt, tells you something about the world.  You can
always go back to Descartes, but his threat of global
skepticism ("What if all of our beliefs are false!?!") appears
silly because we know that, based on the fact of our
successful communication with each other, most of our
beliefs must be true.

And _all_ this does is defeat Descartes.  It doesn't tell us
which beliefs _are_ true, just that most of them must be.
Descartes' big move was to go from doubting one individual
belief after another to doubting all of them at once.
Davidson's comfortable with the former, but halts the
inference to the latter.  Doubting all of your beliefs at once
is, as Peirce said, fake doubt.

Does that make more sense?  Because I agree, you do
need to wipe off the stench of quantification from the
formula.  Davidson's argument's real home is not in numbers
("most"), but in virtue ("the principle of charity").

Matt