[MD] Pirsig's theory of truth

Mary marysonthego at gmail.com
Sat May 22 10:15:24 PDT 2010

Hi John and Bo,

[John speaking to Bo]
> the main point
> of
> the whole MoQ - Reality's fundament is Value.
>
> Which is rendered meaningless by the "Quality = Reality" formulation.
> don't buy that substitution a bit.  Reality is formed by Value, not the
> same
> thing at all.

You're right that it's not the same thing at all.  To say reality is
'formed' by value is to ascribe to the 'blessed trinity' of subject, object,
and value.  This is SOM with Value as whipped topping which is easily
demoted to 'the value is in the eye of the beholder'.  If you go this way,
the whole MoQ devolves into just another S/O Metaphysics.

Reality does equal Quality.

'...the belief that Quality equals reality came much later and was arrived
at by a more complex process...There was an intermediate period where
Phaedrus thought reality was three-termed, with subject, object and value- a
'blessed trinity' he called it....Later Phaedrus felt that three-termed
realities are rather unwieldy (low quality) and rare in metaphysics, and
tried to collapse them into one....He tried and he saw that it could be
done. As time went on, he saw that not only could it be done, but that it
solved huge philosophic problems that had dogged metaphysics for centuries.
It produced harmony where there had been disharmony. It had high
intellectual quality'. (Annot.118)

Mary

On Behalf Of John Carl