[MD] Are There Bad Questions?: Pirsig

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Sun May 23 08:48:09 PDT 2010

Hi Bodvar,

You're a funny guy, Bo.

Matt said:
And then ZMM ends (there’s a chance I might be forgetting
something).  The trick is that Pirsig offers a few half-hearted
stabs at sysematizing his thoughts about Quality (don’t
forget the diagram in Ch. 20),

Bo said:
The diagrams in ZAMM aren't half-hearted stabs but
contains the Quality Idea far as it was brought there,

Matt:
I'm cutting you off on a comma, like you did to me, so we
can get something straight.  By focusing on this line as a
staging point for your interpretation of Pirsig's metaphysics,
as opposed to my very limited point about the utility of
metaphysics, are you suggesting that the utility of
metaphysics is _not_ conversational (even in some wide
sense to include, for example, scientific inquiry)?

I just thought I'd ask.  For, it's pretty obvious that you
didn't need me for that diatribe.  I was just convenient
fodder.  You could've gone off on your interpretation,
taking suitable quotes from Pirsig, in your own thread if
you'd wanted.  You didn't even try to speak to the subject
I'd delineated.  You changed the subject, to what you
want to talk about.

And because--in its own way--that _is_ what my subject
was, I take it that your reply to my topic was performative.
Kind of like if somebody asked about dancing, and in reply
you just got up and danced.  Sometimes performances are
better than verbal/linguistic responses, though the
performance of a conversation (rather than two performed
monologues going back-to-back) has it's own utility.  So
this is how I interpret your performance linguistically as a
response to my monologue (thus turning it into a dialogue):

"Metaphysics _is_ conversational, and the real pernicious
trouble around here is that everybody is constantly talking
about really lame things, like themselves, when there's
really only one thing we should be talking about--me; me
and my theory about the MoQ.  I am at the center of this
universe, I am the measure of all things, and people are
getting reality just plain wrong when they're not talking
about me."

It's an interesting point, as far as it goes.  It also highlights
something about Protagoras.  While on the one hand,
there's the Protagorean point that pragmatists agree with,
that whenever you enter a dialogue, you can't help but
talk--in some sense--about yourself, because when you
lodge a complaint, a criticism, or even a compliment about
someone else's monologue, you are doing it from your
perspective, which is the one where you are at the center.
Your theories _are_ you, in the same sense that Pirsig
taught us that we don't _have_ patterns, we _are_ patterns.

However, we can now perhaps see why pragmatism and
relativism occasionally get called narcissistic.  I think it's
easy to avoid the narcissism performatively while holding
pragmatist or relativist (leaving aside differences or
commonalities) philosophical theses.  Some people don't.
Some people think that if these theses seeped out into
the common culture, our culture would produce more
narcissists.  They think that conversational virtues like
hearing the other side, not interrupting them, or letting
other people's hobby-horses have the stage occasionally
will disappear.  I don't think they're right, but there's no
way I can prove it.  The only evidence I can muster is
circumstantial, like referring to pragmatists who are great
conversationalists, or perhaps pointing out that Bo is
neither a pragmatist nor a relativist.

Matt said:
What sometimes gets lost in metaphysical system-building
is the person doing the building, and what the building is for.

Bo said:
This is not true Matt, the subject has been the latter day
philosophy's focus after a long and futile pursuit of  the
object, but the subject will also lead to frustration - guaranteed.

Matt:
Heh, heh.  You are funny, Bo.  I was, of course, not
referring to "the subject," a metaphysical object paired with
its opposite "the object," but rather the person constructing
or toying with the metaphysical dyad of subject/object (as an
example; they could be toying with DQ/static or SOL or
mind/matter or God or whatever).  Perhaps not seeing the
difference was my point.

Bo said:
Nor do I subscribe to the "map" metaphor, it sounds so
obvious but is SOM's about an objective reality and our
different subjective maps of it. The "one can't avoid
metaphysics " goes against the grain of  this.

Matt:
Even though this has nothing to do with what I said, I did
want to meet you halfway and say that there's a good
point here.  I've often suggested that we avoid map
metaphors for the same reason.  It's what Davidson
rejected as the scheme/content distinction, and Hilary
Putnam made fun of as the "cookie-cutter view of reality."
(Of course, if you look closely, I doubt you'd find that my
use of that passage or metaphor had anything to do with
those pernicious views.)

Though, on the other hand, the map metaphor doesn't
quite go against "one can't avoid metaphysics," because
as I understand Pirsig's understanding of metaphysics, a
metaphysics isn't a special line of inquiry like physics (which
you can avoid doing), but just a systematic, hierarchitized,
super-consistent version of a person's common sense.
Basically, your intellectual patterns, or "thinking."  You
can't avoid thinking, or having intellectual patterns, while
remaining a person.  That's how I think Pirsig would
reconcile the two.

Matt