[MD] Are There Bad Questions?: Pirsig

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Tue May 25 00:03:16 PDT 2010

Hi Mary

23 May

You took the trouble with analyzing my long analysis of Matt  post and I
skip where you and I (mostly) agree and I'm happy to see that that only
leaves the final few lines

Bodvar had said:
> >...  there once was no S/O  - search the old books of the bible
> > (examples of the social reality according to Pirsig)  they are
> > devoid of any "I think about the world". The S/O arrived as told in
> > ZAMM, it assumed its role as SOM, but has been superseded by MOQ's
> > Dynamic/Static explanation and relegated the role as its 4th. level

[Mary Replies]
> I disagree with this, Bo.  SOL has existed for as long as there have
> been 'minds'.  What was new with the Greeks, was an attitude.  The
> discreteness of thought was always there.

Again, SOL is just the abbreviation for the interpretation that says that
the Intellectual level = SOM, thus I'm a bit unsure when you say "SOL
has existed ...etc.. for a while I thought you meant that a kind of
"dualism" exists on all levels that the respective immune system are
built on, starting with biology's "self/not self", however this is not S/O.

But you go on to say "...as long as there have been 'minds'" .  Now, if
we agree that Intellect=SOM - and the mind/matter dualism is a SOM
variant - then one may say that "minds"  only arrived with intellect, and
I really do think so. You won't find any "I think" or "in my mind" ...etc. in
f.ex. "The Iliad" or the Old Testament.

If you say "there were minds just not discovered by people of old" you
are back in SOM. (from ZAMM)

    Yes the Greeks represented the coming of exactly that attitude
    that things have always been there for us to discover. What is
    essential to understand at this point is that until now there was
    no such thing as mind and matter, subject and object, form
    and substance. Those divisions are just dialectical inventions
    that came later. The modern mind sometimes tends to balk at
    the thought of these dichotomies being inventions and says,
    ``Well, the divisions were there for the Greeks to discover,''
    and you have to say, ``Where were they? Point to them!'' And
    the modern mind gets a little confused and wonders what this
    is all about anyway, and still believes the divisions were there.

The only alternative is that you mean there have always been
"thinking" (intelligence) since the neural system reached a certain
complexity - i.e. brains - and if so we agree completely. Let me know if
this jells.

Bodvar