[MD] Reading & Comprehension

skutvik at online.no skutvik at online.no
Sun May 23 10:53:54 PDT 2010

Mary and DMB, All!

22 May.:

DMB initially:
> > > If SOM and the intellectual level are identical, then how would it
> > > be possible for all four of these philosophers to reject it for
> > > intellectual reasons?

Bo replied to this:
> > Phaedrus rejected SOM for Quality reasons and so did "these
> > philosophers", but they brought it no further.

Mary says to DMB.
> I wonder if what you weren't driving at, though, DMB, was the question
> of how one (or 4 philosophers as in your example) can reject SOM by
> using SOM? This is a perfectly natural outgrowth of SOM.

Bo speaks to whoever may listen.
The intellectual level (as SOM)  grew in complexity like all levels, the
biological "computer" it had inherited the level-out-of-level way had
been fed the S/O program and ever more complex S/O varieties
emerged, century after century, but with the empiricists the paradoxes
from the S/O as existence's fundament became obvious and with Kant
philosophy gave up, there only were these philosophers that DMB
refers to who saw that things had come to a dead end, but even if
James had a dynamic hunch and saw that something preceded
subjects and objects, yet his pre-concept/concept created a pitfall that
Pirsig of LILA regrettably fell into.

OK, the gist of it all is that intellect-as-SOM grew to a level of instability
that finally enabled DQ to spur the hyper-intellectual Phaedrus to the
DQ/SQ insight, but just a small bridgehead is yet established.
Phaedrus was killed in the first charge .....regrettably.

> A somewhat overdue next logical step wouldn't you say?  I could as well
> turn the question back around and ask you why not?  If the Intellectual
> level contains as part of its value set the notion of free and
> independent thought unfettered by Social constraints,

Maybe a bit un-called for, but the levels - before the MOQ - didn't know
the level context, thus intellect-as-SOM just regarded anything that
hindered the newfangled objectivity (as time passed science was
intellect's spear-point and  religion the chief fetter) as unscientific. This
still carries much weight so social value is no problem. What intellect-
as-SOM now sees as a threat is the MOQ which wants to make it a
subset of its own system, and our quasi-moqists fights to keep the
MOQ an intellectual pattern -  which   means another subjective idea.

> beholden only to the experiential, then what would prevent it?  Seems
> logical to me that once the Intellectual Level had thoroughly trounced
> the Social Level with its unassailable objective logic, the next victim
> would be SOM itself. Patterns are trusty friends, though, and this has
> taken a very long time to emerge.

Hmm, I see your reasoning Mary, and here may be our mysterious
disagreement, IYO objective logic's trouncing of social value was
intellect's job which is correct, but IMO the intellectual level IS
objective logic (it grew to SOM proportions while intellect was leading
edge)  thus the trouncing of SOM cannot be performed by intellect,
only by the MOQ (now in command of INTELLIGENCE) which reduces
SOM to its proper role as its 4th. static level.

> If the Intellectual Level can commit heresy against the Social, what's
> to stop the open-minded intellect from committing heresy against
> itself?

The same goes here, intellect-as-SOM looked like heresy from the
social level and the MOQ looks irrational from intellect, however the
MOQ was not born from an open-minded intellectual, but from the
intellect-tormented Phaedrus.

> It is entirely possible to trash SOM by SOM.  You can see it every day
> in this very forum.  It is a valid - high Quality - use of SOM.  It is
> exactly what Pirsig himself did.

I don't think intellect voluntarily will surrender its position as the apex -
what the MOQ calls SOM -  only the MOQ can do that, it's only the
MOQ that HAS a static intellectual level!!! At this point where existence
converges into the MOQ things get a bit complicated, it (MOQ)
assumes a quasi-level-like relationship with intellect, but is of course
not a static level but the Quality Reality.

Bodvar