[MD] Reading & Comprehension

Joseph Maurer jhmau at sbcglobal.net
Tue May 25 15:56:06 PDT 2010

On 5/23/10 2:36 PM, "Mary" <marysonthego at gmail.com> wrote:

> [Mary Replies]
> Yeah, DQ is definitely not non-existent.  It is all there is ultimately.
> That static stuff is what's temporary.
>
> Evolving.  I think Pirsig models his static hierarchy off biological
> evolution.  It evolves in response to the highest Quality solution at the
> time.  I would be uncomfortable with saying it is evolving with 'purpose'.
>
> Best,
> Mary

Hi Mary and all

In a Dominican monastery from 1962 to 1964 I was taught a metaphysics, which
Thomas Aquinas adapted from Aristotle in the 13th century.  It began with a
substance/accident division of reality.  A substance has real existence.  An
accident participates in and modifies the existence of the substance.
Quality and quantity were the first two accidents in a list of seven or
eight.  This information was called subject/object metaphysics.   Thing,
one, true, good, were transcendentals in that they could be said of
everything existing.

Joe