[MD] grmbl

ARLO J BENSINGER JR ajb102 at psu.edu
Sat May 29 06:06:03 PDT 2010

[Arlo]
Imprisoning intellect as SOM, yes, by claiming ALL intellect is SOM you take an
evolutionary hierarchy and declare its uppermost level "cancerous". I think
Pirsig's view that this actually undermines the MOQ is spot on.

[Adie]
where did i make a statement like this?, claiming all intellect is som?i never
did , nor do i believe that all intellect is som.

[Arlo]
You did not. Marsha, a la Bo, does. And that is what we were talking about when
you jumped in. It was to her I paraphrased:

Pirsig: The patient HAS cancer.
Marsha: The patient IS cancer.

And that's a big difference.

The above use of "you" is the abstract general. "By riding a roller coaster,
you run the risk of getting puked on." Not *you*, but the hypothetical rider.