[MD] Science - Delusions in Search of Theory

plattholden at gmail.com plattholden at gmail.com
Mon Nov 1 08:33:28 PDT 2010

Hi Mark,
Good questions. I try to answer them below.

On 31 Oct 2010 at 22:13, 118 wrote:

Hi Platt,
>From your post, your interpretation seems to coincide with mine, unless I
read it incorrectly.

Let me ask you the following questions:  Is the intellectual level a
function of individual thought?

Platt
Basically, yes. All thought is individual. But it borrows from many influences
experienced during an individual's life history.

Mark
Does such individual thought provide the
direction and structure of the intellectual level?  Or, is individual
thought conforming to an intellectual level, in the same way that carbon
atoms (inorganic) conform to make up the biological level.  That is, the
structure of biological molecules must be such that they can be used by the
biological organism.  So, do our thoughts have to fit into the intellectual
level once it is formed so that they become pertinent?

Platt
Individual thought conforms to the intellectual level which consists of thought
systems including logic, the scientific method, subject-object metaphysics and
so-called "critical reasoning." For most people in the west, such systems
comprise the sine qua non of quality thinking. They are taught by the
educational establishment, not only because they have proved useful in
understanding the physical realm (where most people's concerns reside) but also
because it's easy to grade students on their ability to conform to the systems
and thereby keep them subservient. So, yes, in most instances thought is
considered "pertinent" when it meets the criteria of the approved thought
systems that comprise the intellectual level, guarded by a clique of academic
elites against upstart contrarians.

Of course, you and I know that such systems tend to smother creative
breakthroughs that lead to new understanding. It is only individuals such as
Pirsig, Aristotle, Galileo and others like them who, with the insight and
courage to escape from "approved thinking," make evolutionary progress.

Thanks for asking for my opinions.

Platt.

Platt (previously)