[MD] BeTteR-neSs (undefined or otherwise)

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Fri Nov 5 00:07:35 PDT 2010

Greetings Ham,

On Nov 4, 2010, at 10:58 PM, Ham Priday wrote:

> Greetings, Marsha --
>

>> Hi Ham,
>>
>> Scientific objectivity is an illusion.  What has objectively NOT been a product of the conceptualization of scientists?  What scientific observation in a laboratory has been made with other the mental aculty?  -  Where do theories originate?  Where are experiments designed? Where is data observed?
>>
>> Answer:  In the mind as conceptualized patterns!!!
>
> You've answered your own questions, but I don't know what they are meant to imply.
>
> When you say "scientific objectivity is an illusion," do you mean "objectivity" itself  is an illusion, or only the knowledge gained thereby? I don't understand "what has objectively NOT been a product of conceptualization."   Assuming that "the other mental faculty" refers to intellection, I take it you feel my statement that "objective science is based on empirical knowledge" sleights the "let's try this" (or intuitive) approach to experimentation.

I should apologize for intruding, but I've been reading much about the myth of objectivity in the sciences.  There is nothing in the process that isn't conceptually built:  theory, experiment, instruments, data.  And 'empirical knowledge' in the our most advanced branch of science - physics - has long ago slipped away.  Who has ever _experienced_  a quark or a black hole?  No one.

> While it is true that scientific speculation applies reason to the task, this doesn't change the fact that objectivity is the foundation of science. That is to say, deductions and inferences of the investigator, whatever they might be, do not become "scientific conclusions" unless or until the results are confirmed objectively.  Experiments are designed to test the theory. This is not possible with religious or philosophical pronouncements, which (incidentally) are also a product of intellection and reason.
>
> What's the point you are trying to make, Marsha?

Scientific conclusions are subjective bound, one and all.    Objectivity, in general, is an illusion.  The self and objects are created from the quality experience.

> --Ham

Marsha

___