[MD] Intellectual Level

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 09:26:02 PDT 2010

Hi Marsha,

My opinion below.

I don't know why, but your first statement below sounds somewhat dismissive.
 Kind of like Everything you Know is Wrong.  Sure, the paradigm that you
propose is an attribute that you work within.  But it's finality is not
necessary.  This illusion you speak of, has great value.  It allows one to
do things other than sit cross-legged and revel in the interdependence of
things.  Keep in mind that Buddhism is highly intellectual in its path.  It
brings in the concept of Right Thinking.  This is a dictate (dogma) which is
based on interpretation and requires direct guidance from a teacher.  As
such, it could also be considered an illusion, or some kind of viral
infection.  Obviously, if one is suffering, then one can travel along that
path.  Or, if one wants ultimate release from the cycle of reincarnation, it
has its purposes.  But it does not stand alone as the grand illusion of all
illusions.

Intelligence is an attribute of the human mind, like heat is an attribute of
the sun.  From such comes the intellectual level as a product.  They are not
the same thing in the same way a painter is different from the painting.  Of
course, one can view the painter and painting as one, which is where your
interdependence comes in.  This is Zen.  I suppose you would label this as
the unconventional use of subjects and object.  As such, its value may be
somewhat diminished as a static pattern lying below an accepted conventional
notion of 'doing'.  As such, it becomes a personal approach, with personal
value but not universal value.

Knowledge is the result of direct experience, whether it be through words,
music, art, or contemplating a lily.  Knowledge is shared primarily through
the magic of words, and as such is not absolute.  The direct experience
needs something to act on within, whether it be a scientific concept such as
brain function, or a spiritual concept of self.   If such action is
considered an illusion, it does not provide much value.  We must divide to
understand.  Such dialectic understanding creates an intellectual level.
 The illusionary interplay of the yin and yang is grounded in understanding
and agreement, the interpretation of which is not absolute but conventional.
 Understanding is agreement either with oneself or with a group at large.
 Words are descriptive metaphors that transfer illumination for sharing and
growth of concepts.  Often such concepts are flowers, sometimes they are
thorns.  Value or quality (SQ) can be assigned to provide intuitive
direction.

Regards,
Mark