[MD] Intellectual Level

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Sat Nov 6 09:42:22 PDT 2010

> Hi Mark,
> :
> In terms of transitions, the separation of the levels might go something
> like
> this:
>
> Inorganic --  first physical forces and evolution of stars & planets
> Biological -- first cell division and  evolution of plants & animals
> Social -- first farming and evolution of  economics & laws
> Intellectual -- first measurement of physical forces and evolution of
> scientific knowledge
>
> Don't know precisely when the first three separations occurred but Galileo
> and
> Kepler are generally credited with being the first to apply modern
> scientific
> methods for establishing reliable knowledge. (about 1600). Prior to that
> time,
> knowledge was the province of the Church.
>
> Needs fleshing out but you get the idea.
>
> Regards,
> Platt

Hi Platt,
Yes, there is the historical approach which I guess is within the SOM
boundaries, I have no problem with that since it provides meaningful
description.

I was also suggesting a paradigm approach (if that is the right word).  What
over-riding principle created the impression of a static level.  It would
appear that the paradigm of control is one used.  That is, the control of
the inorganic by the biological, and so forth.  I find this a bit dangerous
because of its consequences.   It is open to selfish manipulation followed
by justification through philosophy.  The age of Reason or Enlightenment was
one such period in France around the revolution.  A interesting source of
opinion on this is the  New World Encyclopedia:

http://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/Age_of_Enlightenment#cite_note-7

Accordingly, it states that Hume and Kant were critical of this phase.

It is interesting to note the following reference (which I have not pursued,
so its value is unknown to me), within the link above.

"S. H. Nasr expresses Muslim criticism of the Enlightenment as separating
knowledge from value. Western science and technology, he says, is immoral
because there is no concern with the consequences of progress, but focus
only with progress itself. Science no longer serves humanity, but its own
quest for yet more knowledge. His basic critique is that reason became
detached from "revelation," and thus also from values"

It is of course a point of view which may or not have value in itself.

Now, I am not religious in a traditional sense.  And I have been trying to
punch holes in Scientism, in criticizing what it can become in terms of
dogma.  My concern is one of manipulation by others for selfish gain.  With
this in mind, the power of the intellectual level should always be a concern
and be put into perspective.  I am not an anti-intellectual by any means, I
am anti-authoritarian.   According to Spinoza, anarchy resulted in the state
as a natural consequence.  However, if the people of the state are more
intelligent than the leaders, such leadership should be overthrown.  This
was his democracy written before the US became independent, and never
completed do to the inconvenience of death.

Cheers,
Mark

Moq_Discuss mailing list