[MD] BeTteR-neSs (undefined or otherwise)

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Sun Nov 7 00:56:05 PDT 2010

Hey Mark --

> Yup, still with you.  I got distracted by some nonsense on another post,
> but now I'm back and in tune.  Let me just say that I like your ontology
> in terms of the pictures it provides me.  I seem to get stuck at places
> where there is a jump.  Where the actual point of negation occurs is one
> such place.  But, I am asking questions that haven't been successfully
> answered to my satisfaction yet, so perhaps the question is the wrong
> approach.  I do have a tendency to obsess.  Sometimes a good thing
> sometimes not.

OK, you are hung up on the question of exactly where negation occurs.  Let
me try to explain why I regard Differentiation as the negation of an
Absolute the Source.

If you accept the idea that pluralistic "existents" (i.e., the perceived
objects of existence) are the creation of a monolithic source, then it is
apparent that Difference is the primary operand of existence.  By this I
mean that since everything in existence is divided or polarized -- including
the apperception of self and other, before and after, here and there, good
and bad, life and death, being and nothing, static and dynamic, etc. -- what
we call existence is a differential aspect or mode of the Creator.  I think
what you're asking is: What STARTS this differentiating process?   How do we
get from an absolute unity to a pluralistic universe?

Many solutions have been suggested in this forum, the most popular (based on
the MoQ) being that DQ gives rise to "patterns of Quality" (the static
existents), while Quality itself is a unity ever moving to "betterness".
Some hold out for the theory that there is no primary source, that the
universe simply emerges from chaos or nothingness.  Others have adopted the
New Age theory that our world is just one of "multiple universes" that have
always existed with no need of a Creator.

All of these theories, including mine, are flawed for various reasons.  I
have posited an absolute source that is both undivided (not-other) and
unchanging (immutable).  This ontogeny doesn't have the "dynamic" advantage
of Pirsig's Quality which allows for its division into patterns to account
for creation.  To resolve the paradox of an immutable source performing acts
of creation, I make the Source (uncreated Essence) primary and relegate "the
acts" of creation to Nothingness (the created negate).  Think of negation as
the cleavage in an infinite ball.

In my ontogeny Essence doesn't have to "create" anything; it only has to
possess a "negational mode" as its potentiality to actualize Nothingness and
create Difference.  Expressed as a logical premise: Essence creates Nothing;
(Nothing is created by Essence.)  Now, I know dmb and others will accuse me
of simply playing with words in order to make sense out of nonsense.  But
hold your skepticism for a moment.

Nothingness has all the attributes of Essence.  It also is absolute,
unchanging, and indivisible.  Essence and Nothingness are the two primary
metaphysical antonyms, except that the former IS and the latter IS NOT.  The
only way the Not-other can create Other is by exclusion, denial, or
negation.  Notice that creation is this context is not an act "exercised" in
time and space by Essence but, rather, the very mode of its absolute
potentiality.  In other words, Essence is "negational".

In Eckhart's terms, IS-ness negates Nothingness.  And from that negation
Difference and its concomitant appearance of Existence is born.

I'll get to your other comments later, Mark.  But does the above explication
draw a clearer picture of the "where the actual point of negation occurs"?
Is my ontogeny logical by your standards?  If so, I would say we're making
progress.

 Copacetically,
 Ham