[MD] Betterness - 4 levels of!

Ham Priday hampday1 at verizon.net
Wed Nov 10 23:13:17 PST 2010

Greetings, Tim --

Nice to meet you, and welcome to the MD.

> Ham,
> I might jump in real quick,
>
>> [Ham] My paradigm here is that of the individual self
>> looking at its Absolute Source from the "outside",
>> as it were, and creating an objective reality to represent
>> the value realized.
>
> Ham, I know next to nothing about your position, so I don't want
> to trouble about too much now.  I'd also like to say that I have
> some reservations about Pirsig and the MoQ. While I do suspect
> that there will never be a way to calculate what the 'right' thing to
> do is, not at any moment, I think that there is much that could be
> done to bound that decision / state / process / whatever it is.
> I have wondered if Pirsig was afraid of his insanity, and if that
> prevented him from pursuing the highest aspirations that Phaedrus
> had before ... everything.  I have wondered if he settled.

You raise an interesting point, Tim.  According to Wikipedia, Pirsig spent
time in and out of psychiatric hospitals between 1961 and 1963.  ZMM and
LILA were published in 1974 and 1991, respectively.  (You can peruse
www.psybertron.org for a timeline of the author's activities.)  Many feel
that the first book defined the Quality thesis more "accurately" than the
second.  Personally, I found the paper titled Subjects, Objects, Data and
Values [SODV, presented in June of 1995.] more useful for my purposes, as it
discusses the paradox of quantum physics and diagrams the four levels upon
which the MoQ is based.  Just how a nervous breakdown in the '60s affected
the author's reasoning  or philosophical persuasion remains a matter for
speculation.  But it's quite possible that he avoided discussing spiritual
or theological issues for fear that it might be associated with his
breakdown and treatment.

For example, in response to a query I had sent him in July, 2004, Pirsig