[MD] Is this the inadequacy of the MOQ?

John Carl ridgecoyote at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 12:55:06 PST 2010

Hey Mark, you heaviest of elements you,

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 9:56 PM, 118 <ununoctiums at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Tim,
> About art and its lead as you mention below, I thought I would add
> something.  There have  been a few books written that portray art as
> preceeding scientific theories.  The premise is that what is depicted in
> art
> later becomes depicted by physics.  Now this may sound kind of
> supernatural,
> and indeed one has to use his imagination a bit when reading the books.
>  But
> it is not difficult to see and the books are convincing.  If this is true,
> what does this mean?

John:

Leonard Shlain's Art and Physics, is an excellent example of the kind of
thinking you describe, and what I think it means is, that there's a lot of
experience that we absorb that we don't really aknowledge or understand.
That our environment, intellectual and social and inorganic, influence us
along lines that we can't intellectualize until we realize.  That these
realizations come into awareness through our appreciation of a certain
quality that we can't deny, but can't define.  And first and foremost, they
are realized through a certain aesthetic sense - that "feels good", and thus
we pursue them in artistic endeavor while refining them in intellectual
endeavor.

That's what I think it means.

So if we accept that physics paints a picture, where does that picture come
> from?  Well it must come from our interaction with nature (or reality).  In
> Science, there are certain theories that seem to come out of nowhere, but
> develop rapidly and are carried forth to interpret data.  This interaction
> with reality doesn't only happen in the field of physics but everywhere of
> course.  It is possible, that some artists have a very sensitive feeling
> for
> this interaction.  Therefore it is possible that certain art can precede
> the
> scientific interpretation.  What does this mean?

Well for one thing, it means that you and I agree on what it means.  :-)

Yours in wandering minds,

John