[MD] Is this the inadequacy of the MOQ?

rapsncows at fastmail.fm rapsncows at fastmail.fm
Fri Nov 12 14:41:01 PST 2010

Alexander,
an addition,
Tim

One thing has come up since I last replied to you; it might be of
benefit if you are still considering it.  I had got into a conversation
with Ham, and he suggested the Pirsig essay on "subjects, objects, data,
and value".  It can be found on the MoQ website.  I thought this really
had some confirming quality to my thoughts about the 'faithful I'.

"In the Metaphysics of Quality the world is composed of three things:
mind, matter and Quality. Because something is not located in the object
does not mean that it has to be located in your mind. Quality cannot be
independently derived form either mind or matter. But it can be derived
from the relationship of mind and matter with each other. Quality occurs
at the point at which subject and object meet. Quality is not a thing.
It is an event. It is the event at which the subject becomes aware of
the object. And because without objects there can be no subject, quality
is the event at which awareness of both subjects and objects is made
possible. Quality is not just the result of a collision between subject
and object. The very existence of subject and object themselves is
deduced from the Quality event. The Quality event is the cause of the
subjects and objects, which are then mistakenly presumed to be the cause
of the Quality!"

Tim

  rapsncows at fastmail.fm

--