[MD] Is this the inadequacy of the MOQ?

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 22:54:35 PST 2010

Hi Tim,
If I may intrude into your question to John with a comment.  I read the Tao
of Physics a little after I read ZMM in the '70s.  Of course people like
Alan Watts preceded them in the introduction of mainstream Eastern thought
in the US.  At that time, physics had reached a point at which the
interpretation of data and its theoretic premises were finding correlations
between such physical notions and "old philosophies".  As such it was an
attempt to bridge the two.  AG is quite correct in that physicists were
supporting such philosophies with theoretical physics and not the other way
around.  So the materialistic aspect was prevalent.  Much has changed since
that time, where philosophies are used to explain some things in physics.  A
similar "early work" was the Dancing Wu li Maters by Zukav.  Both of these
authors became converted to a more new age thinking as is reflected in their
later works.  For them, it would seem that physics provided the path to
spiritualism.  These early works are somewhat dated now, but they were
pioneers at the time.

Mark