[MD] [Bulk] Re: Humanism

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Sat Nov 13 03:41:15 PST 2010

Adrie,

That's bulls eyes...

"Any philosophic explanation of Quality is going to be both false and true
precisely because it is a philosophic explanation. The process of philosophic
explanation is an analytic process, a process of breaking something down
into subjects and predicates. What I mean (and everybody else means) by
the word quality cannot be broken down into subjects and predicates. This
is not because Quality is so mysterious but because Quality is so simple,
immediate and direct."
    (ZMM, Chapter 20)

“…if Quality or excellence is seen as the ultimate reality then it becomes possible
for more than one set of truths to exist. Then one doesn't seek the absolute Truth.'
One seeks instead the highest quality intellectual explanation of things with the
knowledge that if the past is any guide to the future this explanation must be taken
provisionally; as useful until something better comes along. One can then examine
intellectual realities the same way one examines paintings in an art gallery, not with
an effort to find out which one is the 'real' painting, but simply to enjoy and keep
those that are of value. There are many sets of intellectual reality in existence and
we can perceive some to have more quality than others, but that we do so is, in part,
the result of our history and current patterns of values.
    (LILA, Chapter 8)

Enjoy and keep those that are of value?  That sounds about right.   And that
would be relative to one's "history and current patterns of value," not anyone's
authority.

Marsha