[MD] a-theism and atheism

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 10:37:43 PST 2010

Hi Craig,

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 10:33 PM, <craigerb at comcast.net> wrote:

> [Ian]
> >  Agnosticism can only ever be an incomplete or temporary state.
>
> Agnosticism is the view that we do not have complete knowledge about god:
> in particular, whether god exists or not.  So, it is by definition an
> incomplete state.
> But there is no reason to think we will ever know the answer to whether god
> exists or not,
> so it need not be a temporary state.
>  Craig

[Mark]
My understanding of agnosticism is also that if God (whatever that is) were
to appear before a person, they would accept it existence.  An athiest
would not see value in such an obvious appearance.  This is treated well by
Dostoevsky in the the Brothers Karamazov.  There is an interlude within
called the Grand Inquisitor.  The story is that Christ does return and
performs miracles.  The Inquisitor explains to Christ why the Church no
longer needs him (and thus God) because they have it under control.  This
stance could be considered atheistic.  Having been provided by the Church is
what makes it interesting.