[MD] [Bulk] Re: Humanism

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 14:26:25 PST 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 12:51 PM, ARLO J BENSINGER JR <ajb102 at psu.edu>wrote:

> [Mark]
> If MOQ is anti-theist as Pirsig considers I don't need to pursue the why, I
> can
> move on.  I don't think that stance has any effect on the MOQ.
>
> [Arlo]
> I re-read this a few times, because something wasn't gelling for me, and I
> realized its the "the" at the end. And this kinda gets back to my
> conversation
> with Bo about "a MOQ" versus "the MOQ".
>
> In the former, we are talking about ideas that different people have and we
> can
> discuss the relative merits of those beliefs. In the second, we are trapped
> in
> a dialogue about "who is right about *the* MOQ". Does this make sense?
>
> [Mark in response]

Yes, this makes sense.  The MOQ does not sound right.  I like to think of it
more in terms of growth.  Hopefully agreement has a place there.  As I
reread my own sentence I would perhaps say, "on the outcome of MOQ in a
general sense".  This also has its problems since it is anticipating
something which I cannot box in at this time.  So, your comment was well
received, mine was somewhat poorly expressed.

Thanks,
Mark