[MD] [Bulk] Re: Humanism

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 14:40:30 PST 2010

> Marsha:
> B Alan Wallace reminds us:  "The origin of doctrine of the two truths is
> found in a teaching given by the Buddha on a mountaintop in northeastern
> India called Vulture's Peak.  There he first expounded on emptiness, and
> made the statement "Form is emptiness and emptiness is form.  Note that
> "form" is considered relative truth and "emptiness"  ultimate truth in this
> system."
>
> [Mark]

I have not problem with what you are stating above.  What I want to point
out is the trouble with words as such.  Buddha did not write anything,
neither did Jesus, or Socrates, and anything that the most recent accepted
prophet from the wrote he claimed were not his words but divine ones.
 Therefore they were not his opinion.  All of these people understood the
traps which words can set, and preferred to preach directly.  Those who
wrote down the words did so within their own interpretation.  Also, when we
relate to the teachings of Buddha, we are relating to a translation of such
into another language.  So we have two translations one coming from the
original writing and one coming from the translation.

Finally, we have the translation by Wallace, which he goes on to explain in
his own words.  As such, it is difficult to really know what Buddha was
thinking or trying to say.  Needless to say, translations such as found in
the Bible are to be expected since a philosophy or religion must be
pertinent to the vernacular or understanding of the time.  The underlying
awareness may remain constant, but the thoughts and words are always
changing.

The use of emptiness is a good one.  The sole arising of emptiness can be
questioned and interpreted in its absoluteness.

I know less than you,
Mark

Mark