[MD] [Bulk] Re: Humanism

Dan Glover daneglover at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 19:31:41 PST 2010

Hello everyone

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 9:03 PM, david buchanan <dmbuchanan at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Arlo said to Mark:
> I think more perverse is the notion that every post should reinvent the wheel. As for the MOQ *and* philosophy, DMB demonstrates a far greater depth of understanding and contextual knowledge than I've seen most anyone else here contribute. Is it this authority that threatens you?
>
> dmb says:
> Thanks, Arlo. I'm going to share a quote from Pirsig that nobody here has ever seen. It was something he said over a year ago and I've been sitting on it ever since. Ant and I were getting into the car to go over to Oxford's campus for the MOQ study day when he handed me something he'd printed from the internet and said something like, "Hey Dave, take a look at this". He found it on the website of Pirsig's English publishers.
>
> "I'm very pleased to know that Dr. Anthony McWatt and David Buchanan will be speaking at Oxford. They are the two foremost philosophers today on the Metaphysics of Quality and its implications for the guidance of humanity. General public understanding of this metaphysical system is still in its infancy and they deserve the careful, open-minded atention that early proponents of any idea need." (Robert Pirsig, October 2009)
>
> That seems a little over the top even to me. David Granger, whose Ph.D. thesis has been published as the book titled "John Dewey, Robert Pirsig, and the Art of Living", is certainly one of the foremost philosophers of the MOQ and he's certainly foremoster than me. But still. If there is anyone that can be a judge of who gets it and who doesn't, it's Pirsig.
>
> Okay. Let the shit storm begin. I can just see how well this will be received by people like Mark and Marsha. As usual, they will be gracious and charming and they'll take it in exactly the spirit it was given. (Yes, I'm dripping with sarcasm.)

Hi Dave

Impressive quote, I must say. You seem to have much more patience then
I do when it comes to dealing with the likes of Marsha and Mark and
John. I just can't do it. I ignore their posts for the most part. What
is the sense? Where is the Quality? It seems like the forum goes
through periods like this now and again where nonsense is the rule
rather than the exception. I guess it has to do with the times. There
is nothing to be done but to withdraw and wait. This too shall pass.

For what it's worth, I think you and Ant are doing some great work in
furthering the MOQ. Thank you both.

Dan

PS Thank you, too, Arlo, for your support. I appreciate it.