[MD] [Bulk] Re: Humanism

MarshaV valkyr at att.net
Mon Nov 15 07:20:31 PST 2010

Hi Platt,

Brilliant thinking for sure.  I so admired your recent post where you mentioned
Michelangelo's David.  I did indeed weep as I entered the room and walked
towards it.  You've written so many elegant posts that represent the MoQ at its
most  beautiful and wise.  And you alway pull up the best quote for the occasion.
I don't tell you often enough.  Thank you.

And I miss Bo very much.  His keeping the focus on SOM was so important; he
was tenacious, but never mean-spirited in spite of the relentless and mindless
assault by the picadors.

Marsha

On Nov 15, 2010, at 9:23 AM, Platt Holden wrote:

> Hi Marsha,
>
> Yes, Mr. Pirsig is a good man. He is generous in his compliments although I
> suspect he
> doesn't give them as ego-building props that DMB constantly needs.
>
> But, if DMB wants to play the game of pin-a-rose-on-me, I humbly offer a
> Pirsig accolade that is forever writ in Dan Glover's book, Lila's Child:
>
> "God knows the MOQ has never had two better friends than Bo and Platt, so
> this is no criticism
> of their otherwise brilliant thinking."
>
> Yes, Mr. Pirsig is not only a good man but also a good judge of "brilliant
> thinking."
>
> I'm sure this will be well received by DMB, Arlo and their apostles..
>
> Platt
>

> On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:19 AM, MarshaV <valkyr at att.net> wrote:
>

>> On Nov 14, 2010, at 10:03 PM, david buchanan wrote:
>>

>>> dmb says:
>>> Thanks, Arlo. I'm going to share a quote from Pirsig that nobody here has
>> ever seen. It was something he said over a year ago and I've been sitting on
>> it ever since. Ant and I were getting into the car to go over to Oxford's
>> campus for the MOQ study day when he handed me something he'd printed from
>> the internet and said something like, "Hey Dave, take a look at this". He
>> found it on the website of Pirsig's English publishers.
>>>
>>> "I'm very pleased to know that Dr. Anthony McWatt and David Buchanan will
>> be speaking at Oxford. They are the two foremost philosophers today on the
>> Metaphysics of Quality and its implications for the guidance of humanity.
>> General public understanding of this metaphysical system is still in its
>> infancy and they deserve the careful, open-minded attention that early
>> proponents of any idea need." (Robert Pirsig, October 2009)
>>>
>>> That seems a little over the top even to me. David Granger, whose Ph.D.
>> thesis has been published as the book titled "John Dewey, Robert Pirsig, and
>> the Art of Living", is certainly one of the foremost philosophers of the MOQ
>> and he's certainly foremoster than me. But still. If there is anyone that
>> can be a judge of who gets it and who doesn't, it's Pirsig.
>>>
>>> Okay. Let the shit storm begin. I can just see how well this will be
>> received by people like Mark and Marsha. As usual, they will be gracious and
>> charming and they'll take it in exactly the spirit it was given. (Yes, I'm
>> dripping with sarcasm.)
>>

>> Marsha:
>> Mr. Pirsig is a good man.

___