[MD] Humanism

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Mon Nov 15 08:17:48 PST 2010

Hi Jan,

You are quite correct, the threads seem to meander.  My original question
was the same as your.  To make it relevant, I looked through the site
americanhumanist.org.  In that there is their Manifesto III, which seem to
be their most recent proposal.  I am using this site as the object.

They allude to supernaturalism as not being part of their creed.  What was
once supernatural is now natural, so I am not sure if they are suggesting
that we have all the tools that we need, right now, or if additional tools
can be suggested.

On Mon, Nov 15, 2010 at 12:02 AM, Jan-Anders <jananderses at telia.com> wrote:

> Where are you going, from the discussion about Humanism?
> What is the object? Is there an object?
>
> May I suggest a structured dynamic pattern for this thread? Based on the
> three classes of Quality; mass, form and virtue.
>
> [Jan]
> Renée Descartes proved that we Are by leaving out the subject and putting
> the object against the object, the thinking against the thinking. How can I
> think without thinking...  "therefore we are".
>
> So let us do the same with Humanism. Put Humanism in the light of Humanism.
> Object - object.

 [Mark]
My suggestion is that thinking is the product of something else, it is not
the source of thinking.  You are correct in the object-object suggestion.
 As such, this thinking becomes circular.  Something such as Quality
provides the source for such thinking.  I tend to put this into the
subjective category by saying that there is something experiencing the
thinking.  This would be similar to our experiencing our heart beat.  The
point is to try to balance the subjective with the objective, or as other's
have put it mind/matter.

> [Jan]

Is Humanism a Humanistic concept or what? Has Humanism always been the same
> or has it changed by the the years? If so, in what way? To the better or the
> worse? What has changed, it's numeror of instigators. It's policy statement
> (form) or is it how humanism works on the sorrounding.

[Mark
>From my readings, it would seem that the overall concept of Humanism has not
changed, what has changed is what is accepted within the Humanist movement.
 As we understand more things through rational objective (or science)
interaction, our Humanist concept engulfs it.  However, for the rest it is
somewhat promissory.  That is it claims that the current techniques used
will reveal all.  This may somewhat limit human understanding.

> [Jan]

If we compare Early Humanism with the more modern, difference by time, has
> it grown or is the problem with Humanism that it is too few promotors?

[Mark]
I do not think that Humanism has too few promoters, maybe the wrong ones.

> [Jan]

Or is the discussion concentrated to its definition, its shape and how this
> particular form fit together with the MOQ. Is it possible to compare these
> two objects at all. If it is impossible to define MOQ, how can we tell if
> Humanism is like MOQ, a part of MQ or not?

[Mark]
My original question was exactly that.  To define the similarities and
difference between Humanism and MOQ.  The post degenerated into a lot of
quoting.

> [Jan]

Is it a problem how Humanism affect on other parts of the humanity, it's
> Virtue on us or is it harmless to MOQ?

[Mark]
The humanists would attribute high virtue to their movement, I believe.
 Comparing the two would certainly provide the MOQ perspective on it.  Some
on this forum know more about where the MOQ has been taken recently.  Thus
my question as the subject matter.

> [Jan]

What do you feel about Humanism?

[Mark]
My personal opinion is that Humanism is stuck in the objective world.  This
is but one side of reality, and dismisses the other side.

> [Jan]

With a straight definition of Humanism and MOQ in common sense we can
> discuss how Humanism is related to MOQ.

[Mark]
Again, I believe Manifesto III may be a good start, at least for the US.
 Those in the UK also have a movement, it may be similar.

> [Jan]

Questions, questions, questions. Any suggestions?

> [Mark]
Some suggestions, more questions.

> Moq_Discuss mailing list
>>> Listinfo, Unsubscribing etc.