[MD] [Bulk] Re: Humanism

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Mon Nov 15 09:33:12 PST 2010

[Mark]
OK, my mistake.  I welcome any "mistakes" as divined by dmb.

[Arlo]
Sigh. You really are looking for a fight where none exists. Divined?
Does it bother you that much that DMB is able to correct people when
the attribute something to Pirsig when he said something to the contrary?

The only "mistake" here is the impetus for force agreement at the
expense of honesty rather than lead a solid disagreement. As I just
said to Marsha, if she feels her ideas about the Intellectual level
are better than Pirsig's, then she should articulate why. There is
nothing wrong with this. What continues to be wrong is attribute
those ideas to Pirsig, when he has clearly said such a view
"undermines the MOQ". So if Marsha wants to press forth, her task
should be to explain why they not only do NOT undermine the MOQ, but
are better than what Pirsig has offered.

I think, for example, my idea about including certain non-human
species into the social level is better than Pirsig's view that the
social level be reserved for humans. I disagree with him, but I don't
bend over backwards tyring to "prove" Pirsig "really meant" what I
believe. And I said he meant to the social level to be as I see it, I
imagine DMB would point out this mistake.

Is this really so difficult?