[MD] Rorty and Mysticism

Matt Kundert pirsigaffliction at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 15 19:54:47 PST 2010

I'm not around much on the MD any more these days, so I'm
unfamiliar with current themes in the dialogues, and with new
partners to the conversation (or with old partners who have perhaps
evolved).  But pragmatism is a source of interest for Pirsigians, and
one of the more well-known Anglo-American philosophers to
self-identify as a pragmatist at the end of the 20th century was
Richard Rorty.  I don't know if anyone talks about Rorty much these
days, but if newcomers have found his association with Pirsig
strange, then I'm likely the one to be blamed.  I wasn't the first to
bring him up, but I made him ubiquitous for a while, and had I to do
it all over again, I would've done it differently.

Be that as it may, my most passionate and dogged interlocutor in the
last decade has been David Buchanan.  Dave has long contended that
the radical empiricism of James (which can be found in Dewey's
Experience and Nature) is the gateway to wisdom in the area of
philosophy, being especially a kind of philosophical mysticism.  He
has further excoriated pragmatisms without an attendant radical
empiricism, along the lines Pirsig laid out in Lila, but also along the
lines that to deny radical empiricism is to deny a place for mysticism
within one's philosophical vision.

I have ho-hummed my way through defenses of Rorty over the past
few years, mainly because the problem eludes me.  If James and
Dewey's radical empiricism isn't a kind of Platonic realism, then it is
nothing that Rorty would've felt strongly about.  His extant remarks
about radical empiricism have always appeared to me easily
rectifiable with most of what Dave takes Pirsig to be saying.  Dave
takes--as well he should--solace in the fact that many philosophers
excoriate Rorty for the same things he's always had a problem with
in Rorty.  I just sigh and patiently wait for the target to be removed
from the most infamous American philosopher in the last 30 years.
Too much heat, not enough light.

The toughest part of my ho-humming has been the mysticism part.
Dave has taken his silence to be deafening, speaking volumes.  I've
always been skeptical about so construing it.  One of his rare
off-hand remarks was recently flipped out into my conversation with
John.  "Overcoming the Tradition," Rorty's first essay comparing the
philosophical visions of Heidegger and Dewey, was written in the
context of Heidegger's avoidance of philosophical conversation--the
kind exemplified by American philosophy journals--and though not
exactly "mysticism" as we usually understand it, it has always
structured my understanding of what Rorty thought about mysticism,
which is to say, how it functions in the conversation of humankind.
For years I've tried to construe mysticism as a kind of poetry, an
idea that first came to me in reading that essay, but it never really
seemed to catch on much (though it's the same thing Santayana
was saying, too, something I take solace in).

But a couple days ago, a posthumous book, An Ethics for Today:
Finding Common Ground Between Philosophy and Religion, came
out which contained a paper Rorty read at a conference in Italy in
2005.  The paper opposes "fundamentalism" to "relativism" (the
latter defined, characteristically, as the "denial of fundamentalism")
and dialogues with a few of the current pope's writings about
relativism and different worldviews.  Nothing new is elucidated
about Rorty's position in the paper, though a few new turns of
phrase are thrown out that might be helpful for us secular
humanists who are anti-clerical though not anti-spiritual.

The interesting part was the Q&A.  Somebody finally asked him
directly about mysticism.

-----
A MEMBER OF THE AUDIENCE -- The problem that concerns me is
whether mysticism is absolutely to be excluded from your way of
thinking, or not.  The real sense of mysticism, I mean something
transcendental--does it exist or not in your vision?

RICHARD RORTY -- I think that the mystics, like the poets, are
among the great imaginative geniuses who have helped human
moral and intellectual progress.  Where I think we disagree is on
the question of whether the mystical must be a way of putting us in
touch with the transcendent.  As I see it, mystical experience is a
way of leaping over the boundaries of the language one speaks.
Leaps over those boundaries lead to the creation of new language.
And the creation of new language leads to intellectual and moral
progress. (18)
-----

This just confirmes the hunches I always had about Rorty.  It's
hard not to see the relationship between Dynamic Quality and
static latches in those lines.  It's not an argument against Dave, of
course: the argument isn't about what Rorty thinks, but what the
best way forward is.  I like the rhetoric of mysticism-as-poetry;
Dave likes the rhetoric of mysticism-as-radical-empiricism.  I don't
know how to debate the two.

Matt