[MD] The Johnottations

ADRIE KINTZIGER parser666 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 16 22:14:26 PST 2010

JOHN, quoting the annotations decontextualised

At this point Coleridge is at the same door that Phaedrus was at, but he
doesn’t have the key of Quality with him.  So he answers:
'Only in the selfconsciousness of a spirit is there the required identity of
object and of representation.'
What in the world is selfconsciousness of a spirit?
But if the spirit is originally the identity of subject and object, it must
in some sense dissolve this identity in order to become conscious of itself
as object.

Ridiculous.

Self-consciousness, therefore, cannot arise except through an act of will,

How did will get in here?

and 'freedom

How did freedom get in here?

must be assumed as a *ground *of philosophy, and can never be deduced from
it'. The spirit becomes a subject knowing itself as object only through 'the
act of constructing itself objectively to itself'.
------------------------------
Adrie's comment.
Here you deliberately "forgot" a piece ,john.
The paragraph's end is Mr Pirsig's concluding sentence, you left it out
for obvious reasons

This is it,The complete paragraphe WITH PIRSIG'S CONCLUDING ENDSENTENCE
recontextualised again.

Where is this identity to be found? At this point Coleridge is at the same
door that Phaedrus was at, but he doesn’t have the key of Quality with him.
So he answers: 'Only in the selfconsciousness of a spirit is there the
required identity of object and of representation.' What in the world is
selfconsciousness of a spirit? But if the spirit is originally the identity
of subject and object, it must in some sense dissolve this identity in order
to become conscious of itself as object. Ridiculous. Self-consciousness,
therefore, cannot arise except through an act of will, How did will get in
here? and 'freedom How did freedom get in here? must be assumed as a *ground
*of philosophy, and can never be deduced from it'. The spirit becomes a
subject knowing itself as object only through 'the act of constructing
itself objectively to itself'.  This is the sort of nonsense that has
inspired logical positivism.

" THIS IS THE SORT OF NONSENCE THAT HAS INSPIRED LOGICAL
POSITIVISM""Pirsig , Emphasis is mine(Adrie)-

Adrie
So you are superposing your endparagraph right above this amputated part
like in the following......

And John moves on,....with a wiff of importance..

"Begs, I say...  Begs.  Choice is fundamental to Philosophy.  Heck, Choice
is
fundamental to Quality!  Without choice, there is no such thing as quality.
Coleridge got that, But RMP doesn't quite see it.  He does at the end
though.  That's what makes this such an important dialogue, in my view.
Pirsig doubles back on himself.  He comes to a realization THROUGH an
interaction with the text, and he generously allows us to participate with
him, in that process that truly transcends the "mere philosophology" as he'd
term most of this exercise."

Adrie
Hate to inform you , John, you just defined yourself as a fraude, you are
on a mission to distort and mislead the others ,.....

So fruitcake Coleridge got that, But RPM doesn't quite see it? neither does
the rest of the group, until now.

Forgetting something is one thing , but superpose your drivel over the
alleged forgetten part in this way , is fraudulant.

Only  one ps remark.

quoting John

"And I do have them (Coppl. Ann) entirely cut up and in my drafts box, in
order, for when I feel like chewing upon a piece or two.   I enjoy them
quite a bit, but boy I wish Coppleston had done a bit on the great American
Philosophical movements of the turn of the century, and Pirsig had commented
upon Royce, Pierce and Santayana in the same philosopholgical style which he
turned on Bradley, Coleridge and Carlyle."

There is a lot of meaty dialogue to be derived stuff like this.  It
practically begs for a response:

Adrie
Following Coldridge in distorting reality, as why he was dismissed by
Mr Pirsig in the annotations,nice, rewriting history.

"Attention"
"Attention"
"Attention"
"here and now boys"