[MD] Intellectual Level

Horse horse at darkstar.uk.net
Wed Nov 17 10:22:54 PST 2010

Hi Platt

So far you've said:

[Platt]
All words, numbers, punctuation and other aspects of language are
imaginary symbols, imaginary meaning "not real."

[Platt]
As I stated and now repeat, all words like "Subjects" and "Objects" and
"levels" are imaginary symbols.
The word "Objects" is an imaginary symbol.
The words "a rock", "a plant" and "a pig" are all imaginary symbols.

The above was in relation to your comment:

[Platt]
SOM is the level of manipulation of imaginary symbols which are taken by
some to have the same reality as concrete material existence.

You also said:

[Platt]

I have already shown you Note 25 where he says the intellectual level is
the level of manipulation of symbols. In Lila he describes metaphysics
as like a menu without food, i.e. imaginary. If you want to assuage your
hunger by eating the menu, good luck with that.

I cannot see any reference by Pirsig to show that symbols are imaginary
or not real so in what sense are you using the word 'real'?
Do you mean that something is not real if it does not physically exist?
Do you mean that if something is not real then it has no existence or is
not any part of reality - i.e. it cannot be experienced? Or do you mean
something else?

Horse

— Frank Zappa