[MD] Intellectual Level

Arlo Bensinger ajb102 at psu.edu
Thu Nov 18 06:33:06 PST 2010

[John]
There's one big difference between us right there, Arlo - I don't
take anybody's word for anything.

[Arlo]
Even when you children tell you they are hungry? Do you demand
evidence of their hunger before feeding them? How would you
accomplish this? Measure their blood-sugar?

Seriously, though, no one is asking you take DMB's or Pirsig's word
that the sky is blue. But in this context, if Pirsig says that DMB
understands his ideas to that degree, then why would I not take that
at face value? I mean, I think Pirsig is a better judge about whether
someone understands his ideas than I am. Do YOU think you're a better
judge of who understands Pirsig than Pirsig? Does this you mean
understand Pirsig better than he understands himself?

That's all this is. Its not about being "right" about everything, or
that no one else can ever be right about anything, or that newbies
should just shut up, or that you aren't a philosopher too, or any
such nonsense like that. This whole thing was in the context of
accusations about DMB having a "shallow" understanding of Pirsig's
ideas, and if Pirsig himself thinks to the contrary, then I think
such accusations can be summarily dismissed.

Unless you want to argue with Pirsig that he is poor judge of who
understands his ideas, and that you are better able to make
determinations about who understands him than he is, in which case
that is where your follow-up should be, I don't know what more I can say.