[MD] a-theism and atheism

118 ununoctiums at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 15:13:12 PST 2010

Hi Ham,

Thought I would join in here, since I am still kind of at the beginning.
 So, I will address one of your paragraphs to Tim with a comment, below.

[Ham: 11/18/10]

> Essence is not a thing, so the term "something-is" is problematic for me.
> The "All-is" would be better, or Eckhart's "IS-ness".
>
> I suppose it's because we have never experienced the Absolute that we liken
> it to a "deathlike state", if not total nothingness.  However, what Cusa and
> Eckhart envisioned was the exact opposite.  As difficult as it is to
> imagine, the source of all sensibility and life logically has to be "the
> fullness of being", not a void or absence of it.  I purposely avoid using
> the term "being" in my thesis because its always associated with a finite
> entity, which Essence is not.  (Existentialists fell short of understanding
> this concept and wrote about "becoming" in much the same way Pirsig talks
> about Quality moving to betterness.)
>

>> [Mark 11/18/10 in response]
>From my readings of Eckhart, his experience is one of joining the sacred
ground.  He did describe this as very wondrous and unifying.  So here is my
comment.  It would appear that your ontology would distinguish, as a severe
separation, our differentiated sensibility and the Absolute.  That is, that
we can only imagine the absolute but not experience it.  Kind of like one or
the other.  What I would propose is that the Absolute is part of us at all
times, and can be experienced.

Such mystical states could be claimed to be just a state of mind if one
subscribes to materialism.  However, if I use my analogy of looking through
a window into the material (as in Avatar), there can be an interpretation
where the other side (if you will) is indeed present and experienceable.
 You may state that even such an experience requires differentiation of some
kind, but does it?  It is quite possible that at the leading edge of our
partaking in this experience we are face to face with the Absolute.  When we
step back and think about it, this is lost in symbology.

Again, I question the need for a sharp phase transition such as water going
into steam.

Cheers,
Mark

Moq_Discuss mailing list